Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Fruits of My Labor



I must begin with a disclaimer. I love to garden but it doesn't necessary mean it I am all that great at it. But that said, with the price of food going so high I thought the least I could do was try to grow some tomatoes. Last year I didn't get one, not ONE tomato. A bad location and too much nitrogen from the surrounding forest humus was to blame (I think). But I didn't give up and this year planted two cherry tomatoes (last time I grew them I had fruit until late November) and one beefsteak plant. I have been harvesting a few cherry tomatoes the last month but this week I proudly picked my first "beefsteak". They aren't so beefy but they are good! I sure hope I get lots more (unfortunately they won't set fruit in this blasted heat). What are you doing to help cut down your food bill?

2 comments:

CottageBliss said...

Beautiful! Now I'm smelling lovely tomatoes...ah...

Melissa

tammy said...

Our garden is finally taking off, too. Between bad soil and extremely wet conditions, it took quite a while for them to recover and start producing. Next year, we hope to do much better. Nothing like your first ripe tomato, though. Yum!! :)