Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Sunday Reflections



I have a Bird in spring
Which for myself doth sing --
The spring decoys.

And as the summer nears --
And as the Rose appears,
Robin is gone.

Yet do I not repine
Knowing that Bird of mine
Though flown --
Learneth beyond the sea
Melody new for me
And will return.

Fast is a safer hand
Held in a truer
Land
Are mine --
And though they now depart,
Tell I my doubting heart
They're thine.

In a serener Bright,
In a more golden light
I see
Each little doubt and fear,
Each little discord here
Removed.

Then will I not repine,
Knowing that Bird of mine
Though flown
Shall in a distant tree
Bright melody for me
Return.


Today's reflection is on the cycles of life. I'm reminded of these cycles by two events this week. The first event was the passing of the eldest daughter of one of my high school friends. Her name was Robin. She was a beautiful and vibrant daughter, wife and mother of one and was a mere 31 years young. She succumbed to a 31 month battle with leukemia. It just doesn't seem fair that one so young and with what seems like so much ahead of her is taken from us in an untimely manner. But leukemia knows no boundaries of age. Her passing also reminds me that the friendships we make along this road of life are precious. I really had only met Robin a few times as a young child. But I have known Wendy (her mom) for 40 years. She is truly one of the funniest people I know. From the eulogies I heard I know Robin was much like her mother. I know that Wendy needs her friends as a support around her now and I vow to be a better friend. She lives several states away but I plan to drop her a note or card every few weeks to let her know she is in my thoughts and prayers.

The other event happened today. We took a Sunday drive along the foothills to a winery. On the way home we saw many horses. The mares with foals were separated from the rest of the horses. From afar I watched as a young foal frolicked in the pasture with his mother chasing after him. He kicked his heels up and ran circles around his mother. When he tired of his play he went over to his mother for an afternoon snack. The beauty of the scenery and the young foal reminded me that God is in control of all that happens in my life. The foal depended on his mother for his need much as I depend on my Heavenly Father for my needs. I experienced the beginning of the life cycle with that young foal and the end of the life cycle with Robin's passing.

Tomorrow I will share with you more about the beautiful little valley where a small, family winery was nestled amongst the orange groves. That little trip helped to renew my spirit.

No comments: