Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, July 4, 2008

Proud to be an American

Yes, I'm proud to be an American and proud of my family members that have served this country. My father and two uncles served during WW II. My father was stationed in China and was in military intelligence. I can't imagine what it must have felt like going months without hearing from your husband and then knowing your letters were being reviewed and edited. One of my brothers-in-lawsserved in Korea and one in the front lines of Viet Nam. My brother and husband both served during the Viet Nam era but neither had to go to Southeast Asia. They were all proud of their country.

Tonight as we celebrate with our bbq'd burgers and watch the local fireworks display, I'll remember all of those brave men and women who helped our country gain their independence. Can you imagine what they must have felt like? Women couldn't fight but they helped in numerous other ways. I'll think of Francis Scott Key as he wrote our National Anthem. I still choke up every time I hear it played. Heck, I'm choking up just thinking about it. In these uncertain economic times, I'll remember how lucky we are to have a beautiful roof over our head, food in our bellies and a warm, dry bed to sleep in. Yes, our gas prices might be soaring but this is something the rest of the world has had to deal with for a long time. We need to be thankful for what we have. Ok, stepping off of my soapbox now. God Bless America!

No comments: